Kirkland Museum of Fine and Decorative Art
Size : 36,700 square feet
Client : Bannock 1201, LLC
Architect : Olson Kundig Architects
This noteworthy project consisted of the new construction of a nearly 40,000 square foot museum and the relocation of esteemed Colorado artist, Vance Kirkland’s 1910 original studio from 13th and Pearl Street to the current museum location. The 150-ton brick structure was supported by steel beams on remotely controlled wheels and seamlessly incorporated into the new building. The exterior façade is a mix of yellow terracotta baguettes, glass, metal and swiss pearl panels. Interiors finishes are museum quality with state-of-the-art mechanical and lighting systems. The public parking area is constructed of a permeable paver system over a concealed detention pond to accommodate stormwater. The mechanical system includes 26 - 475-foot-deep geothermal wells located under the detention pond.